Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deepmala
    • Sep 2008

What is DNS and rDNS ?

DNS stands for Domain Name System (or Service or Server), an Internet service that translates domain names into IP addresses.

Because domain names are alphabetic, they're easier to remember. The Internet however, is really based on IP addresses.

In other words, Domain Name System (DNS) is a database system that translates a computer's fully qualified domain name into an IP address.

Networked computers use IP addresses to locate and connect to each other, but IP addresses can be difficult for people to remember. For example, on the web, it's much easier to remember the domain name www.megrisoft.com than it is to remember its corresponding IP address (207.171.166.48).

Every organization that maintains a computer network will have at least one server handling DNS queries. That server, called a name server, will hold a list of all the IP addresses within its network, plus a cache of IP addresses for recently accessed computers outside the network. Each computer on each network needs to know the location of only one name server.

Because maintaining a central list of domain name/IP address correspondences would be impractical, the lists of domain names and IP addresses are distributed throughout the Internet in a hierarchy of authority.

And conversely, Reverse DNS (rDNS) translates an IP address into a domain name.
  • asolls

Hey, where have you copied it from?
    Why did you do this?

Comment

• ktworks
      • Sep 2008

But I want to know full details and procedures from buying a domain to selecting wordpress and Joomla.

I tried it once but with the help of my friend. But now I want to try it with my self only.

So if you guys know any links or any way through which I can understand this procedure will be highly obliged.

Comment

• rajat
        • Oct 2008

information abt dns and rDNS is good doesn't matter it is coppied or not thanks for good information

Comment

• zenodoo
          • Dec 2009

Great information, I never knew this, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎