Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • indsoft
    • Mar 2005

How to Get Rid of Junk Mail/Spam

Spam is unsolicited e-mail on the Internet. Spam volume is projected to increase nearly 40 times over the next 5 years! No one is spared from junk e-mail these days. Being into web hosting and email solution business. I know that junk mail is not only wastage of resources and money but also big irritation for everyone.

Most of Email users always blame their Mail Service Providers for junk mail but it's not true. Most of the time user unknowingly invites junk mails.

In this article, I would like to share some of my experience so that the user will be able to reduce their junk mail volume. some small care will result in good time saving in future..

1) Use BCC for distribution lists instead of CC: Please be careful while sending mails to your friends or groups. CC will give your entire mail list to some other person.

2) Use a Second email address in news groups: Newsgroups are a great email address gathering ground for spammers. If you post to a group, you’re going to get spam -- it is just a matter of time. So how are you supposed to participate? Use a different email address than the one you use for talking to friends and relatives. In other words, have a public address and a private address. You’ll just have to deal with the spam in your public account.

2) Always be careful while you are writing your mail Id on website: It seems like a good idea at the time, but posting your email address on your corporate website/personal website is just an invitation to spammers. Spammers and the people who sell spamming as a business have software that "harvests" email addresses from the Net. This software crawls through the Internet seeking text strings that are -something-@-something-.-something-. When it finds one, it catalogs it on a database of other email addresses to be used to send spam. Only well experienced webmaster can only able to give you some tips like use image instant of text link. It's called as Reduce your exposure to ``harvesting''

4) Never Respond to spam Oh sure, they say they’ll take your name off the list, but they’re lying. What they really want to do is confirm that they’ve got a live address. Also, if you respond, they’ll sell your address to every other spammer on the planet meaning you’ll soon be flooded with even more spam.

5) USE A SPAM FILTER on your mail Server While there is no such thing as a perfect filter, anti-spam software can help keep spam at manageable level. Some of it is cumbersome, some works better than others, some even requires that you let your email messages go through another system for storage and cleaning. But right now, that’s the way it works. some good spam filter can stop your junk mail volume more then 60% to 80%. So while you are selecting your mail service provider just demand "spam filter" on mail server side.

6) Do not use third party web sites, their forums, web forms, or other similar media. Some free websites just give your id to direct marketing companies. So be careful.

7) Select good Host (Mail service provider) : If you are really serious about your mail box then be careful about your mailing solution provider. Select them only if they are not selling email data base, they have best spam filter on mail server and Anti virus protection facility.

I agree that email user databases of most famous service providers like Yahoo, Rediff and Hotmail are very openly available at very low cost. That's why I personally prefer to select small but good and reliable service provider for my mail solution.

8) Guard your in-box : Don't give out your e-mail address to anyone but the people you expect to correspond with.

9) DON’T GIVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS WITHOUT KNOWING HOW IT WILL BE USED: If a website is asking for your email address, they want to use it for something. Be sure you know for what. Read the terms of use and privacy statements of any site before telling them your address. Ask yourself some simple questions. Are they going to share or sell my address? Do I want emails from this website? Do I trust them? Is it worth the risk? If you can’t answer these questions satisfactorily, if you can’t find their privacy statement, don’t tell them your address.

10) E-card/Online Contest/Online Poll: Believe me or not but when you are sending ecards using some egreeting website at that time you are also inviting spammers. Same way while you are entering your Id for some Online contest or for Poll. They can use your email database for junk mailing. But if you want to give your email id then give your second email id.

11) Virus in your computer: Some virus can just send mail to all users of your address book without your knowledge. So keep your anti-virus updated.

Now people have also started creating "white list" to prevent spam. Some time later I will write about white list and other aspect of mailing.

Some other related links : Prevent Junk E-Mail Messages with Outlook 2003 http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...s/junkmail.asp

Prevent your website from email harvester: http://www.bestprac.org/articles/spam_bots.htm

About author : Started India's first Emagazine featured on "Limca book of Record as India First E-Magazine.. Currently, runing Web hosting company called : http://indsoft.net
  • megri
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

This is your orginal article if so can we post on your behalf on others sites owned by Megrisoft
    Parveen K - Forum Administrator
    SEO India - TalkingCity Forum Rules - Webmaster Forum
    Please Do Not Spam Our Forum

Comment

• indsoft
      • Mar 2005

post on my behalf

u can post on mybehalf.

Ritesh Kakkad

Originally posted by megri
      This is your orginal article if so can we post on your behalf on others sites owned by Megrisoft

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎